Researchers in the Synthetic Biology Informatics Group develop and demonstrate experimental wetware, software and laboratory automation devices that facilitate, accelerate, and standardize the engineering of microbes that produce fuels and chemicals from cellulosic biomass. Processes utilized include biological component characterization and re-usability/interchangeability, and computer-aided design.
- “Develop an improved metabolic engineering method for modifying microorganisms for biofuel production from cellulosic sugars“, JBEI end-of-year report (2016)
- “New tools available for facilitating the design of engineered pathways in microorganisms for biofuel production from cellulosic sugars“, JBEI quarterly report (2016)
- “Improving Synthetic Biology Communication: Recommended Practices for Visual Depiction and Digital Submission of Genetic Designs“, ACS Synthetic Biology (2016)
- “Investigation of Proposed Ladderane Biosynthetic Genes from Anammox Bacteria by Heterologous Expression in E. coli“, PLOS ONE (2016)
- “End-to-end automated microfluidic platform for synthetic biology: from design to functional analysis”, J Biol Eng (2016)
- “A Droplet Microfluidic Platform for Automating Genetic Engineering”, ACS Synthetic Biology (2016)
- “SBOL Visual: A Graphical Language for Genetic Designs”, PLOS Biology (2015)
- “A Versatile Microfluidic Device for Automating Synthetic Biology”, ACS Synthetic Biology (2015)
- “Industrialization of Biology: A Roadmap to Accelerate the Advanced Manufacturing of Chemicals“, The National Academies Press (2015)
- “The Joint Genome Institute’s synthetic biology internal review process”, Journal of Responsible Innovation (2015)
- “Principal component analysis of proteomics (PCAP) as a tool to direct metabolic engineering”, Metabolic Engineering (2014)
- “Characterization of Wastewater Treatment Plant Microbial Communities and the Effects of Carbon Sources on Diversity in Laboratory Models”, PLOS ONE. (2014)
- “The Synthetic Biology Open Language (SBOL) provides a community standard for communicating designs in synthetic biology”, Nat Biotechnol. (2014)
- “The Plant Glycosyltransferase Clone Collection for Functional Genomics”, Plant J. (2014)
- “Cloud-Enabled Microscopy and Droplet Microfluidic Platform for Specific Detection of Escherichia coli in Water”, PLoS ONE (2014).
- “PR-PR Cross-Platform Laboratory Automation System”, ACS Synthetic Biology (2014).
- “j5 DNA Assembly Design Automation”, DNA Cloning and Assembly Methods (2014).
- “Development of a broad-host synthetic biology toolbox for ralstonia eutropha and its application to engineering hydrocarbon biofuel production”, Microbial Cell Factories (2013).
- “The Fusion of Biology, Computer Science, and Engineering – towards efficient and successful synthetic biology”, Perspectives in Biology and Medicine (2013).
- “PaR-PaR Laboratory Automation platform”, ACS Synthetic Biology (2012).
- “Design, Implementation and Practice of JBEI-ICE: An Open Source Biological Part Registry Platform and Tools”, Nucleic Acids Research (2012).
- “DeviceEditor visual biological CAD canvas”, Journal of Biological Engineering (2012).
- “j5 DNA Assembly Design Automation Software”, ACS Synthetic Biology (2012).
- “DNA Assembly Method Standardization for Synthetic Biomolecular Circuits and Systems”, Design and Analysis of Bio-molecular Circuits (2011).