JBEI (pronounced jay-bay) is a research partnership led by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) and combining the scientific expertise, resources and support of four national laboratories and three academic institutions. JBEI’s 150 scientists, engineers and support staff, are headquartered in EmeryStation East, a state-of-the-art laboratory in Emeryville, CA.
Four National Laboratory Partners
JBEI represents a departure from traditional research institutions. JBEI is a dynamic integrated organization that brings the sunlight-to-biofuels pipeline under one roof. Here, a multi-disciplinary team of scientists combines their expertise, exchange ideas and collaborate to develop genetic, biological, computational and robotic technologies and accelerate the process of discovery.
“JBEI was designed to be nimble and flexible enough to focus and refocus its research quickly, efficiently and effectively,” says CEO Jay Keasling.
Unique competitive advantages
- JBEI spurs scientific discovery by housing three scientific divisions and one technology division in one location,
- Multi-institutional partnership supports JBEI with combined scientific, operational and administrative expertise
- Located in the Bay Area academic/biotech research hub
- Entrepreneurial environment acts as bioscience incubator
- Dynamic culture exploits collaboration to accelerate research
- Motivated people combine their knowledge, skills and abilities to address challenges and maximize opportunities for success.