Sponsoring research at JBEI enables companies to access world-class expertise, feed product pipelines, and accelerate time-to-market for new products.
Most JBEI collaborations are formalized under a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA), but a variety of mechanisms can be used to meet company needs. For basic CRADA terms go here. For information on other ways to partner with JBEI go here.
Benefits for Industry Sponsors Include
- Representation on the JBEI Advisory Committee (with qualified investment)
- Opportunity to embed industry employees in JBEI’s rich research environment
- Networking with grad student and post-doctoral scientists
- Advance notice of JBEI inventions
JBEI Capabilities Include
- Metabolic engineering and modeling
- Synthetic biology expertise and tools
- Enzyme discovery, engineering, high-throughput screening, and expression
- Biomass pretreatment and process development
- Systems biology
- Proteomics and metabolomics
A further benefit of collaborating with JBEI is proximity to LBNL’s Advanced Biofuels and Bioproducts Process Demonstration Unit (ABPDU: http://abpdu.lbl.gov/), which is a scale-up and demonstration facility located one floor below JBEI’s laboratories. The ABPDU takes initial steps in scaling processes developed at JBEI or by corporate collaborators, with capabilities in biomass pretreatment, fermentation up to 300 liters, and downstream processing. JBEI’s and ABPDU’s combined capabilities represent an unparalleled opportunity to develop and evaluate new technologies for a wide range of bioproducts.