The Introductory College Level Experience in Microbiology (iCLEM) is an eight-week paid summer science intensive for economically disadvantaged high school sophomores and juniors. The program seeks to broaden students’ understanding of biotechnology, microbiology, and biofuels. In addition to completing a research project, the program also exposes students to career exploration and preparation for the college application process.
Program Highlights for Summer 2017:
- Receive a stipend of $2000 paid over the eight-week program from June 19 to August 11, 2017.
- Complete a hands-on, real-world research project in a state-of-the-art laboratory mentored by JBEI researchers and UC undergrads.
- Learn fundamental concepts in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, biofuels, and synthetic biology.
- Prepare for the college admission process – write and revise a personal statement and learn about admissions requirements and financial aid.
- Explore careers through discussions with STEM professionals and visits to local biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Gain skills and confidence in communicating scientific research.
Online application for the program will be open between January 13 and March 12, 2017. Read more below >>
While the application process is rigorous, we place primary importance on the student’s background, teachers’ recommendations, and the student’s strong desire to do science and work hard during the summer. The student’s academic record is considered, but it is not the only factor in our selection process.
To be eligible for iCLEM, you must meet all the following requirements: (1) be 15 years old by December 31, 2016; (2) be currently enrolled as a sophomore or junior at a high school in Alameda, Contra Costa, or San Francisco county; (3) be a US citizen or permanent resident; (4) have a GPA of at least 2.5 and passed Algebra 1 and Biology; (5) have an annual household income of $70,000 or less; (6) commit to being present for all 8 weeks of the program, from June 19 to August 11, 2017.
- Qualified students can apply online anytime between January 13 and March 12 on the JBEI website.
- You will NOT be able to save your application before submission and will not be able to edit it after you submit, so we highly encourage you to write your responses in a separate document before filling it out online. For your reference, you can preview the application questions here.
- Applications submitted after 11:59pm on March 12 will not be considered, we encourage you to apply as early as possible to leave plenty of time for any problems that occur.
- You will need to provide the email address of two teachers or other non-related (i.e. not in your family) adults that can give you a recommendation for the program. At least one recommendation should be from a math or science teacher.
- Each recommender will receive an email AFTER you submit your application with a link to a form and a place to upload a recommendation letter. All recommendations must be received by Friday, March 17 at 5:00pm.
- Finalists for the iCLEM program will be invited to interview at JBEI in April.
- Access the online application
For questions about the iCLEM program, please contact Rochelle Urban, firstname.lastname@example.org.