iCLEM applications are currently closed. Applications for Summer 2022 will open in February 2022.
Information for iCLEM 2021:
To be eligible for iCLEM, you must meet all the following requirements. Due to the nature of our program funding, we are unable to make any exceptions.
(1) be 15 years old by December 31, 2020;
(2) be currently enrolled as a sophomore or junior at a high school in Alameda, Contra Costa, or San Francisco County;
(3) be a US citizen or permanent resident;
(4) have a GPA of at least 2.5 and passed Algebra 1 and Biology;
(5) have an annual household income of $75,000 or less;
(6) commit to being present for all 5 weeks of the program, Monday through Friday, from June 21st through July 23rd, 2021.
The Introductory College Level Experience in Microbiology (iCLEM) is a paid summer science intensive for economically disadvantaged high school sophomores and juniors. The program seeks to broaden students’ understanding of biotechnology, microbiology, and biofuels. In addition to completing a research project, the program also exposes students to career exploration and preparation for the college application process.
Program Highlights for Summer 2021:
- Receive a stipend of $1,500 for the five-week program from 6/21 – 7/23, Monday – Friday.
- Complete a real-world research project in a virtual environment mentored by JBEI and LBNL researchers and UC undergrads.
- Learn fundamental concepts in microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, biofuels, and synthetic biology.
- Prepare for the college admission process – write and revise a personal statement and learn about admissions requirements and financial aid.
- Explore careers through discussions with STEM professionals and meetings with local biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies.
- Gain skills and confidence in communicating scientific research.
While the application process is rigorous, we place primary importance on the student’s background, teachers’ recommendations, and the student’s strong desire to do science and work hard during the summer. The student’s academic record is considered, but it is not the only factor in our selection process.
For questions about the iCLEM program, please contact Annie Nguyen ([email protected])